I got a compliment yesterday, and it absolutely changed my day.
It made me feel so good I could hardly stand it. I felt like I was smiling all over and just glowing. I have a feeling it will be the kind of compliment that I carry with me always in my back pocket, the kind you pull out and listen to again in your mind, just to live it all over again.
As I drove home, I started thinking, "What made that compliment so special to me?" I mean, there are compliments, and then there are these kind of compliments. Here are the conclusions I came to:
1. It was specific. It was not a "good job" cookie-cutter compliment; it told exactly what they appreciated in detail about what I had done.
2. It was about something I had been working on especially hard. After putting my heart into this particular "thing" for a really long time, someone noticed and mentioned it!
3. It was totally unexpected. I had no idea someone was watching, let along noticing.
4. It was from someone that didn't have to say something. You expect some people to feel obligated to compliment you every once in awhile. This wasn't one of those people.
5. There was an audience. Not only did this person make me feel like I was walking on cloud nine, they made me look good in front of others! Wow!
I have to tell you, this was big to me. It's made me feel so fabulous, that I want to inspire others to do the same for someone around you today!
I challenge you to find one person in your life--maybe someone on the "fringes" of your life--and just make their day. Give them a specific compliment about something they're been working hard at in an unexpected way. If you can pull it off, do it in front of an audience of people that will also applaud and celebrate that person.
If you can make someone feel as amazing as I feel right now, you will have made a HUGE difference! Trust me.