Friday, March 31, 2017

Slice of Life, March 31st--"Writing and Communityr"

Fair Warning: Overly thoughtful, reflective post ahead. 
On the last day of #sol17, I just couldn't help myself.

Tonight I worked at our school fundraiser. Surrounded by hundreds of people swirling around me, I was far from lonely. Students, children, parents, and colleagues were everywhere. To say I spoke with only a fraction of them would almost be an overstatement! I interacted with those that came by my booths and waved to friends and students, but mostly, we were just all in the same place at the same time.

But, it was a community. My community.

I can't help but find the parallels on the last night of writing. I haven't gotten to comment and read as much this year as I have in the past. Sometimes my writing felt silent, although I knew people were reading and many left comments. The crowd, like tonight's crowd, was a just too big to feel like I'd made dent in the blogs.

And yet, like tonight, the community was there. The feeling that I'm not alone in wanting to write, to share, and to reflect on life. Our lives.

After 4 years, the Slice of Life community feels like home to me. I'm not self-conscious anymore sharing my thoughts and feelings with people I've never met. I've said it a million times before, but I think this year I must continue. Slicing grounds me in a way that nothing else does. It makes me a better writer, observer, and teacher.

I'm so appreciative of the group of people that have gathered here for so many years and for the beautiful writing group you've created. If you don't mind, I think I'll join you this year. :)

Until Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. Katy, great to meet you. It's hard to believe that you have been slicing for 4 years and I have never met your acquaintance. As we continue our journeys, I will look forward to slicing with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too. I have to catch up!

    Thanks for the post, Katy.. community's been my favorite buzzword this term..

    ReplyDelete