Thursday, March 16, 2017

Slice of Life, March 16th-- "St. Patrick's Day Fundraiser Fun"

I run the Service Club at school, so we planned a fundraiser to raise money for teacher appreciation week and to buy the students something special during state testing. All week we have been selling St. Patrick's Day themed messages that could be paired with the gift of a chocolate coin or a green rope bracelet.

My club kids went around to all the classrooms this week at the end of the day, armed with their product posters and Chromebooks to take orders on. They had a blast. I had a little less of a blast as I managed excited kids in all corners of the building. We made it through, though.

Today was the day I was dreading. We had to make the 229 messages, organize them by classroom, attach appropriate gifts, and do it all in under 45 minutes. When all the kids got there, I thought, "There is no way. I can't believe I got myself into this."

About 20 minutes into the make-shift leprechaun-elf gift making, I stood back and looked in amazement.

Everyone was working.
On task.
Together.
Without me.

It was beautiful.

They were so proud of themselves, too. I'm sure there are mistakes. I have run the spreadsheets so that I can have a few trusted kiddos proofread and go through all the messages tomorrow...just in case. But, all in all, it went better than I could have imagined. It was so much fun to watch them work with purpose and drive towards a common goal.

I can't wait for them to deliver the messages around the school tomorrow, and better yet, to figure out how to spend the money! Their pride will only be exceeded by my own.




4 comments:

  1. I am glad you guy's finished in time. Also, thank you for letting me help your club on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait you can buy chocolate?!! I thought you can only buy bracelets (p.s. I like choclate!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today has been great but on of my favorite was reading this. Awesome work Miss Collins. Have a good-no great spring break

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed today, and I hate having to leave school for a whole week

    ReplyDelete