Tuesday, March 7, 2017

March 7th, 2017-- "One Little Word"

I've seen a lot of posts (mostly around January) about people choosing their "one little word" to focus on for the year. I decided to make my Slice of Life today about my word. To start, I read more about the project here. Then, after browsing their ideas, I chose...

NURTURE


According to dictionary. com, nurture has many different definitions:

verb (used with object)nurtured, nurturing.
1.
to feed and protect:
to nurture one's offspring.
2.
to support and encourage, as during the period of training or development; foster:
to nurture promising musicians.
3.
to bring up; train; educate.
noun
4.
rearing, upbringing, training, education, or the like.
5.
development:
the nurture of young artists.
6.
something that nourishes; nourishment; food.

I chose this word because I think I am pretty good at "maintaining"--but nurture implies growth. I am also very adept at taking on more projects and spreading myself too thin in the process. I have so many things in my life that I think, with a little nurturing, would be able to take off and be successful. 

This word also applies so perfectly to the teaching profession. Nurturing is a natural part of my day, but when things get crazy (as the end of the year can get...), nurturing can take a back seat and opportunities are missed.

This word challenges me to focus on the areas and relationships in my life that need growth. It doesn't require me to take on more, but rather to focus on what I have going that is already worth my time. 

It is a word that challenges, but doesn't overwhelm me. 

It's the perfect word to remind me what is really important and to keep my eyes on those things.

Nurture my goals; nurture the kids in my life; nurture my relationships; nurture what's important.

Nurture.

I think it's going to be a good year.

6 comments:

  1. I love that! What an interesting choice. I think that's a great word to aim for. Like you said, it describes your profession, but allows for growth in all areas of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your word nurture, is a synonym to my OLW word, nourish. So I totally enjoyed your post, especially this insight - "This word challenges me to focus on the areas and relationships in my life that need growth. It doesn't require me to take on more, but rather to focus on what I have going that is already worth my time." Thanks for this lovely reflection that has me thinking again about my OLW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great word! I have jumped on board with the OWL myself this year and have found it to be-- in your words-- something that doesn't overwhelm me. The part where you describe how this word doesn't require more,but focusing on what you already have is so great. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great word choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful word choice! You'll be surprised at how often you'll refer to it and think through it. Great point in that you are living it through the eyes of maintaining what already exists. This way you'll remain focused on the most important priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of the one little word. I have yet to participate because I love words and there are so many that seem just right for the cause. That said, I should probably choose something having to do with making a decision.

    ReplyDelete