Monday, March 13, 2017

March 13th, 2017--"The Voices of My Students"

There are so many things that I love about my job, but as a writing teacher, one of my absolute favorites has to be reading their writing.

Sixth graders can be guarded in person. They can also be unbelievably honest, open, and vivacious, but their smiles quickly fade when the pressures of life creep in in ways they've never experienced. It is in those moments that they write.

They write their dreams.
Their hopes.
Their loves.
Their fears.
Their joys.
Their sorrows.
Their lives.

When they write, they are free with their words and feelings, and I am afforded a rare glimpse inside their minds and hearts. It is a privilege.

I love that about my job and my life. Their writing speaks to me and to the world.

People say all the time that their students inspire them, but really...they do.

They lift my heart, remind me what's important, and, yes, inspire me to be better, stronger, fearless, and brave.

Their voices are unique and precious. It's my honor to teach them.

1 comment:

  1. You captured how I feel about my 6th graders! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete