Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Slice of Life: March 8th, "Commitment"

"Commitment means staying loyal to what you said you were going to do long after the mood you said it in has left you."  

I've thought about commitment today. My kids turned in their journals and blogs for the first time today for me to check through for Slice of Life. Some had written everyday, but some were a few days behind. As I encouraged them to catch up and check back with me on Thursday, I was so happy with the reactions. Instead of sour attitudes or excuses, most of the students looked squarely back at me and said, "It'll be done."

I was so proud of them.

I know how it is during Slice of Life about a week into the challenge. This is my third year and I've seen a lot of kids throw in the towel. The time between the 7th and the 15th are the biggest test to their commitment levels. The beginning is exciting, but by now, it's getting hard. But if they can make it halfway, usually, they have got it in the bag. There's something about having 15 pieces of writing done already that makes it harder to give up on yourself!

I thought about ways to help them make it to the halfway mark today. I have a few tricks up my sleeve, but mostly it comes down to commitment.

And I think I saw that in their eyes today.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck to you and your students. You're right about how getting a collection underway helps keep the commitment going.

    ReplyDelete