Monday, March 7, 2016

Slice of Life: March 7th, "Peeling Back the Layers"

Most mornings I get up and go on a walk with my Dad and my dog, Yadi. We start at 5:30. It's the perfect start to my day. After about 20 minutes of walking, when we've woken up, my dad and I talk about life and the things going on. Most of the time, I think about our conversations or about my upcoming day.

This morning was the first one in which it was warm enough to walk without all the normal things I bundle up in on chilly Missouri mornings. I usually have on at least three layers everywhere, including my head!

Today with only a little headband on my ears, about 10 minutes into the walk, I noticed everything seemed loud. My pre-sunrise brain wondered, "Why? Why is everything so noisy today??"

Well, you guessed it. It was the fact that I could actually hear without all the layers covering my ears! I didn't even realize before today that I was missing out on anything!

Here are a few of the sounds I heard for the first time:

the ting-a-ling of someone's wind chime,
the sound of our feet on the pavement,
the jingle of my dog's collar,
the "good morning" song of some friendly little birds,
the wind moving the dry leaves left from autumn,
the cars from the nearby highway...

It made me think, "I wonder what else I miss everyday because I'm not listening? Are my ears "covered" to the sounds of joy or sadness or need in the voices of others, of my students?"

I hope not, but I'm sure I miss a lot. A lot of important things...

I guess I'm still working on peeling back the layers.

8 comments:

  1. Wish I had the dedication and motivation to start an early morning walk. Good for you and this spring weather is perfect for walking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post. Listening is important. It brings us the joy of those early morning sounds and helps us build relationships with our students. Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this post. The shedding of the layers is the best part of spring. I need to take a lesson from you and listen to the silence to see what I am missing.

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds just like my Friday nights i plan to do my homework and slice but they get done at 11:30 p.m.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds just like my Friday nights i plan to do my homework and slice but they get done at 11:30 p.m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that was beautiful i loved how you worded everything so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that was beautiful i loved how you worded everything so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow just like me not listening to the morning sound.The only thing different I run to the bus hearing and feeling the wind.LOL

    ReplyDelete