Sunday, March 6, 2016

Slice of LIfe: March 6th, "Saying Goodbye...to a TV Show"

Tonight is the night I've been dreading and anticipating in equal amounts. Some of you will understand, and the others will ask obliviously, "What?? What is Downton Abbey?"

And I will feel sorry for you, friend.

Downton Abbey is (a few hours from "was", so "is" while I can...) a PBS period drama that captured my attention 5 years ago. I came a little late to the party. Season 2 was about to start, and while fighting the flu, I binge-watched the first season online. The seasons are short: only 8 or 9 episodes a year, spanning 2 months from January to the beginning of March. For those of us that love it, those episodes are looked forward to for 10 months and over too fast.

Today, sympathetic slicers, is the last episode EVER, the last chapter we will be privy to in the lives of the much-loved Crawley family and their household staff. Tonight, it is over.

It is hard to say what I will miss the most...the heartfelt stories, the well-developed characters, the gorgeous settings, the enviable costumes, or the attention to historic detail that is beyond what I've seen in any previous TV show. It is truly a work of art and amazing storytelling.

I feel like my favorite series of books is about to end and I am about to read the last chapter. It's hard to let go of the people I've come to care about, despite the fact that they are the figment of someone's imagination.

Maybe that's what makes it so special, really: despite the fact that these characters are imaginary, they have come alive to so many of us through the years. We've laughed at, cried with, and most of all, related to the stories and people of Downton Abbey.

I'm hoping there are a few slicers out there who are also Downton Abbey addicts and can relate to this post. It's a sad night.

To the rest of you, I can only hope that one Christmas Santa leaves you the complete boxed set in your stocking. Actually, come to think of it, I wouldn't mind that gift either!

Happy last episode, fellow Downton fans!

3 comments:

  1. This is great! My friend loves it and keeps telling me to watch it. After this descriptive post about setting, character development, etc... I think I might need to watch it. Thank you - great slice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw on IMDb that Downton was ending and thought of you. Although I'm not a Downton watcher, I get it, how you feel when a show you follow is ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do to I don't watch Downton. My mom is mad that it is ending she loves it.:\

    ReplyDelete