Friday, March 4, 2016

Slice of Life: March 4th, "A Friday Night Underestimated..."

I underestimated this Friday night.

I often lump this night in with the rest of the weekend, the time when I'm working on to-do lists, getting things done that I don't have time for during the work week, and, of course, relaxing. Lesson plans, meal plans, outfit plans...all of these happen on Saturday and Sunday. My slice would fit nicely on my weekend list. It's just that...

Well, not on Friday nights.

Friday nights are different. Friday nights are for movies, watching the DVR, and laying in my pjs with nothing to do. Fridays nights I'm TIRED. Too tired for lists or much else.

I forgot to add that in when I "planned" to do my slice tonight. It seemed to make sense that I'd get to it after school...then after dinner...then...as I'm about to fall asleep sitting up, I remember! My slice!

Oh...my slice....

So, in keeping with my "goal" for this year of writing about something from that day and not letting my memory do too much wandering into the past for more interesting moments to tell you about, here's my reality this Friday evening:

pjs
robe
fuzzy socks
warm puppy
quiet tv
lots of pillows
soft light
droopy eyes

I'm really sorry. I totally underestimated my Friday night. Next week, I promise to find a moment earlier in the day before my brain checks out. Today, though...

Goodnight!

7 comments:

  1. This works, Katy! You turned your lazy Friday night into art after all.

    Why the "goal" of writing about each day and not "wandering into the past"? That's where all the good stuff is! Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, thanks! I'm glad something "worked" last night! ;) My goal of not writing about the past is just a little challenge I made to myself this year. The last two years of Slice of Life, I felt like I wrote more about the past then the present. I just wanted to try to get myself to focus on today this year! I'm sure I'll still do flashbacks (because you're right, there's good stuff back there!), but I want to make sure it's anchored in the present. :) So that's why...nothing profound, just a little challenge for this year! :)

      Delete
  2. Yep. Friday is about flaking out, falling into comfort, flapping around in fuzzy slippers, and not about GOALS.
    Good for you! You wrote anyway.
    My sentiments exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this post!! And I can soooooo relate. I am an overthinker and that often gets in the way of just being free and creative. So I think having time for these tired Friday night slices opens a new opportunity for us to just let go and be ourselves. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this post!! And I can soooooo relate. I am an overthinker and that often gets in the way of just being free and creative. So I think having time for these tired Friday night slices opens a new opportunity for us to just let go and be ourselves. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy, I'm getting sleepy just reading this post!! Well said. Fridays are different! I think I "totally underestimated my Friday night" too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't stop thinking warm puppy!

    ReplyDelete