Thursday, March 31, 2016

Slice of Life: March 31, 2016, "My 93rd Slice"

Three years.

I've sliced every day for one month for 3 years. I'm pretty proud to type that.

A few reflections:

**Year 1 was exciting, like riding an amusement park ride for the first time, discovering a new "story" around each corner of my life.

**Year 2 was hard. It was just plain hard! I think it was mostly because the year before had been the opposite. I'm still not entirely sure what made it so difficult, but it was.

**Year 3 was just different. Some days it was harder than ever, and some days I felt like a pro.

**All three years alternated between going incredibly slow and April coming out of nowhere.

**As Slice of Life has become more and more part of our school culture, students have become the driving force behind it. In the past, it was about the teachers inspiring the students and keeping them writing. This year, it felt, more than ever, that it was about the kids! They are the ones living this for the first time, and their enthusiasm was inspiring to me even on the days I wanted to quit.

**Slice of Life continues to be a bonding force among the teachers and students are our school. Even on the hard days, there are things to laugh about together. We share ideas, encourage each other, and sometimes whine together! It creates community.

**Pride is inevitable. I thought because this year felt so different for me, that writing my last slice would be without fanfare. I was wrong. When I think about 31 days, 62 days, and then 93 days of writing, I am incredibly proud to be part of this project!

**We will be back. Webb City Middle School will enter our 4th year of Slice of Life next March, and I look forward to being part of it! Until #sol17, friends!!




6 comments:

  1. 93 slices are impressive. This was my second year. Any tips for starting the challenge with students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting, each year (I'm in my sixth) is different in many ways. But, always, it's about writing and a community of writers. Hooray for making it through again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting, each year (I'm in my sixth) is different in many ways. But, always, it's about writing and a community of writers. Hooray for making it through again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so inspiring that it is part of your school community! Glad to see your students are so energized about writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Moly!!! That's a LOT of slicing! I'm inspired!!! Congrats on your amazing accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Katy,

    You wrote: "As Slice of Life has become more and more part of our school culture, students have become the driving force behind it. In the past, it was about the teachers inspiring the students and keeping them writing. This year, it felt, more than ever, that it was about the kids! They are the ones living this for the first time, and their enthusiasm was inspiring to me even on the days I wanted to quit."

    I was wondering if you'd be interested in writing a guest blog post for Two Writing Teachers next year about the way you've been doing slicing in your school. I think teachers who are new to this can learn a lot from you. Please email me (stacey{at}staceyshubitz{dot}com) if you're interested.

    Thanks!

    My best,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete