Thursday, March 3, 2016

Slice of Life: March 3, 2016 "New Journals, New Energy"

Today I had a special moment with my 4 writing classes. The journals that the school bought them for their Slice of Life adventure arrived. I watched while my kids who love football, softball, cheer, music, video games and just about every other interest you could imagine RAN to the front of the room to quickly grab the color of journal they wanted...

For writing.

Some people may not realize the significance of that, but they're not teachers. Anytime a sixth grader chooses to write, wants to write, challenges themselves to write for any amount of days, much less 31 days, it is a small middle school miracle.

I watched them today, reflecting on the third year of my own Slicing journey. I wondered what motivated them, and I imagine it is similar to what motivates me, however separated we are by decades of years.

They want to be heard.

They want to reflect.

They want to be challenged and succeed.

They want to prove they can write 31 pieces, to others and to themselves.

OR

Maybe they just want pizza, cake, and a t-shirt...

But, you know what? It really doesn't matter. Because even if it is for the pizza, they will still feel all those things at one point in this month.

I and others will listen to them, they will reflect, and they will succeed. And 31 days later...they will feel that feeling that has become addictive for me after 3 years: pride.

Even today, just 3 days into the challenge, I heard them whisper to each other, "What if we don't get to do this next year? Do you think we could start a petition so we can do Slice of Life again? I hope I can do this every year!"

It's enough to give this writing teacher chills.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations for lighting a fire. What a fun sight to see. Thanks for letting me see it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I'm so excited about this year's challenge and the enthusiasm among our students. Thanks for inviting me along for the ride again this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're such a magical teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am blown away by the amount of kiddos we have that have made the commitment to slice this year! I am so excited for them to find their own voice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They were soooo excited! Teacher WIN Miss Collins!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They were soooo excited! Teacher WIN Miss Collins!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited for this thirty-one day journey! I am really excited to see the outcome of this wonderful journey!!

    ReplyDelete