Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Slice of Life: March 29th, "Junior High Choices"

Today the first group of our 6th graders went to the Junior High to arena schedule their classes for next year. It was my turn to go help supervise, so I got to see so many moments and emotions during this special time.

**Elation when they got the classes they wanted

**Nervous looks as they met the principals for the first time

**Disappointment when a class they really wanted closed before they got to sign up

**Anxious smiles as they lined up to walk into the room

**Happiness when they realized it was over and they could relax

** Relived giggles and shared smiles when they found someone that has a class with them next year

It's interesting to watch these emotions flit across the faces of these kids that I care so much about. I want to hug and high five them when it goes their way, and I want to tell them it really isn't the end of the world when it doesn't.

I understand, though, how important it feels to them. It is important. It's one of the biggest things they've done in their short lives.

But...it will be okay if they don't get their first choices. Life will go on and things may even turn out better!

What a hard lesson to learn as a sixth grader, right? Sometimes I'm not even sure I have that down! How many times as an adult do I get frustrated and disappointed when things don't go like I expected or wanted? Too many.

I think I need to take the advice I gave one kiddo today when he realized an elective he really wanted wasn't going to work out. Tears were close and he was struggling to accept that it wasn't going to work.

 "Let it go," I said softly to him. "Just let it go and let's figure out how to fix this."

Just something to think about.


1 comment:

  1. You have such empathy for your teens and tweens-- which is so necessary and so wonderful to hear. It is hard to remember sometimes how little practice some of these kids have had in their 12-13 years on the planet, making big decisions. This helps me hold on a bit more in understanding the children I teach before they head off to middle school next year.

    ReplyDelete