Sunday, March 27, 2016

Slice of Life: March 27th, "Finding My Routine Again"

What is about Spring Break that wipes your brain of all routine and responsibility?

Every year I think it won't happen, and every year it does. I feel like it's the beginning of the school year, and I have to think through every detail about getting ready for the school week like it's my first time. Add to that a general feeling of laziness, and you have a pretty bad combo--forgetfulness AND a lack of motivation. This could get bad.

Tonight I've tried to prepare for my week with the efficiency and speed that I did on a Sunday night just 14 long days ago. And...I couldn't remember anything.

I packed my lunch.

Three times.

I made my morning shake.

But it took 20 minutes, not 5.

I haven't gotten my clothes ready for the week, because...

Well, I haven't even unpacked all the way from Spring Break.

I hope my brain unthaws by morning and some of my muscle memory for how to "do school" comes back...or else this could be a very long week.

My thoughts are with you tomorrow, all returning Spring Breakers!


6 comments:

  1. I am retired now, but I fought with a version of this every Sunday night (each week, not just after holidays!) that I taught - getting back into the swing of things is never easy. But SO many times, once I was back at school for a few hours (sometimes just a few minutes) it seemed as if I had never left at all. I hope tomorrow - and all this week - goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how long we do these routine things and then in one week forget them. I hope you have a fabulous week because summer is on your heels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your description of an unthawed brain is sooooo accurate. Funny how we build routines so that we don't have to think but then getting back into routine is so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote about something similar today. It is so easy to get out of routine! Alas, it is all to easy to fall back into it. Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more! More than winter break, going back to school after spring break is so much harder. I think it's the tease of warmer weather and those summer days when one day melts into the next and you can't remember if it's Tuesday or Thursday anymore. Ah... just a few more months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally get this! Why is returning to a routine so hard?!

    ReplyDelete