Thursday, March 24, 2016

Slice of Life: March 24th, "I Have a Pen Pal!"

I spent about 4 hours today with one of my best friends.

I was passing through Denver on the way home today where she lives with her family, and we decided to meet up together for lunch with her, her husband, and her 3 kiddos. Like all long-distance friendships, there can be nerves when you meet up for the first time when it's been awhile between visits.

All those nerves were totally wasted. We didn't skip a beat. It was like 6 years evaporated, and we were instantly best buddies again. It was so familiar, nice, and comfortable.

We had a hard time saying goodbye because we couldn't stop talking! I reminded her that we could talk on the phone...but it just still didn't feel right.

Tonight we were texting, sharing pics from the day and laughing about our adventures.

I made a suggestion that I wasn't sure about. "Would you like to be pen pals?" I texted.

"I was thinking the same thing!" she shot back. "We are so weird!"

So...I have a pen pal as of today. A friendship that before today was just a happy memory will be something we can savor over the old-fashioned letter. I don't know why I'm so excited. Maybe it's because it is something special and different, something no one else really does anymore. Or maybe it's because I know that a friend who once seemed so far away will be close again.

Either way, I can't wait to write my first letter!

No comments:

Post a Comment