Thursday, March 17, 2016

Slice of Life: March 17th, "Spring Break Packing: Behind the Scenes"

Next week my family is going skiing in Colorado for a week. I am thrilled and so very excited. All that lies between me and snow bliss is...

Packing.

Once again, I find myself in the paralyzing position of having to pack for a trip. Even an overnight trip overwhelms me, but a week, in a place with way different weather than we have right now is beyond overwhelming. I've been thinking about it for a week and nothing--that's right--nothing is done. Okay, I have a list, but that is still nothing in my world.

So...why is this such a problem? I honestly don't know, but I think it has something to do with my effort to be prepared for anything. I can't just throw a few outfits in a suitcase and call it good. I have to analyze each choice, comparing it with all the other options, thinking through the pros and cons of each. Then my one outfit that I have picked out for a 40 degree clear day becomes four outfits: one for if it rains, one for if it snows, one for if it's warmer, and one for if I need to dress up (or down, depending). It's out. of. control.

When I've packed for every possible thing we could experience in all 50 states even though we're just going to ONE, then I get frustrated, realize I've overpacked, analyze it all again, start over and try again.

Add in the need to do laundry, grades to enter, and a head cold...and we have, what is to me, a paralyzing, totally daunting task.

I wish it wasn't so. I hope it isn't like that tonight. I pray things come together quickly...

But based on 34 years of previous data, I'm going to say that probably it's going to be a long night...

...but a fun week! I just have to pack!

-sigh-

1 comment:

  1. I know you like comments from your students, so I wanted to brighten your day by making one :) .

    ReplyDelete