Monday, March 14, 2016

Slice of Life: March 14, 2016, "A Surprise in the Dark"

This morning I was on my daily walk with my dad and Yadi, my Golden Retriever. It was a cold morning, but I found that halfway through my walk, I was getting warm with all my cold weather gear on. I decided to take off my gloves to see if that helped. I hooked them around my wrist by the straps so I didn't have to carry them.

"Perfect!" I thought to myself, proud of my effective solution at 5:15 in the morning two days after Daylight Savings Time. (I mean, hello! It was really 4:15, right!?)

I walked along happily in the dark, my gloves swinging beside me.

All of a sudden my wrist yanked down! Out of the corner of my eye I could see my dad trip. My heart skipped a beat as my mind jumped to a thousand horrible conclusions in a fraction of a second. What was happening? Had an animal jumped out of the woods!?

I looked down, expecting the worst.

And.....Yadi. It was Yadi.

Yadi had crossed in front of my dad on the leash and tripped him, run across to me, and had jumped at my swinging gloves like they were a chew toy. He hung on as I dragged him unknowingly along with me.

I had forgotten that one of Yadi's passions, right next to peanut butter and tennis balls, is gloves. Why? Who knows. But he LOVES them. He likes to steal them and hide them from anyone that is dumb enough to leave them out in the house. He even will root around in a pile of laundry to find the one pair of gloves. His eyes light up when he sees you put them on. It's an obsession.

So it should have been no surprise to me that my mystery glove-attacker this morning turned out to be my own dog.

And, yes, I just carried them the rest of the walk. -sigh-

8 comments:

  1. Your title pulled me right in! I have trouble with good titles, so I appreciate ones that grab the reader. Isn't it funny what our furry friends get attached to? Hope your dad was OK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! This is hilarious! Dogs are so funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, c'mon, your gloves were totally fair game! (That was my dog's reply to your slice today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, c'mon, your gloves were totally fair game! (That was my dog's reply to your slice today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I, too, was intrigued by your title. You did a great job slowly describing and revealing the moment. Seems like one of those "funny only after the moment" moments :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I, too, was intrigued by your title. You did a great job slowly describing and revealing the moment. Seems like one of those "funny only after the moment" moments :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I feel your pain. The two dogs we have got into their snacks today. They ate at least 10 dentastix, about 10 milkbones, a bag of peanut butter snacks, and a whole tub of doggie meatballs. This is an Olympic feat! The snack box is on top of the piano! Needless to say, they were crated for part of the day as punishment. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I feel your pain. The two dogs we have got into their snacks today. They ate at least 10 dentastix, about 10 milkbones, a bag of peanut butter snacks, and a whole tub of doggie meatballs. This is an Olympic feat! The snack box is on top of the piano! Needless to say, they were crated for part of the day as punishment. :(

    ReplyDelete