Sunday, March 13, 2016

Slice of Life: March 13th, "A New Recipe"

Tonight I tried a new recipe. As I chopped, sauteed, diced, and mashed my way to Shepherd's Pie happiness, the rain pounded outside. Every once in awhile, a close storm sent some thunder our way, rumbling through the house. The late light shone in through the windows and the dogs whisked around my feet, hoping for a stray dropped ingredient. The kitchen was filled with the aroma of fresh herbs and peacefulness. For about an hour I was able to lose myself in the directions, following them carefully and hoping for an outcome something like the picture. As I turned on the broiler for one last moment to brown and crisp the top, I could tell we were in for a treat. The recipe turned out to be a keeper, but even more fun today was the process. Sunday afternoons are the best for long, drawn out cooking. Time stands still and life quiets itself. It is the lull before the week and the much needed calm that makes me feel ready to teach again after the weekend. With a wonderful dinner done (and leftovers for tomorrow!), life is good!

1 comment:

  1. The aroma, the light, the dogs, the warmth, the peacefulness-- I love it. I could "lose myself" in that kitchen. And "leftovers for tomorrow" makes it even better.

    ReplyDelete