Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Slice of Life 2016: March 1st, "Nurse Yadi"


Seriously...seriously...the FIRST day of March and I get sick?! This is not the day of "Slice of Life" festivities that I'd imagined and planned! But then this is supposed to be a literal "slice" of our life, right? So, here's the slice from my day...as undesirable as it may have been!

The day actually started pretty normally. I even walked 3 miles this morning with my dog, Yadi. I dressed, drove to school, and was in the throes of my morning prep in my classroom when it hit.

I'll spare you the details, but let's just say I, my co-workers, the janitors, and my future sub, I'm sure, were all very glad I have a trash can right by my desk.

Anyway, my short day ended on the couch, alone with a trash bag-lined bucket, watching the morning news shows with droopy eyes and a fever.

Blech.

What a disappointment.

I'd planned to give my kids who've committed to slicing this year their final pep talk, but what I got was an unexpected nurse on my unwanted sick day.

Nurse Yadi.

Here is Yadi a few weekends ago, chilling out in shallow stream while we hiked around a local National Park:
Yadi is a Golden Retriever who will be 2 years old in April.
Today I got to see the different side of Yadi that shows he may be growing up. He squashed all of the remaining puppy-crazy in his little heart to be beside me ALL day. Here are a few pics I snapped in between the, uh...difficult moments of the day.
Staring up at me..."Are you okay yet, Mom?"
After sleeping until 2:15, I finally got up to let this poor baby out to go to the bathroom. This is him refusing to go out. I think his sweet eyes say, "Not until you feel better. Now go back to bed, Mom. I'm fine."
(But then I was running a fever...but, still, I'm pretty sure that's what he was saying! ;)

Laying on the couch with me, warming up my cold toes
I couldn't have asked for a better nurse today.

I'm sure many of you have a furry friend that has taken care of you when you've felt down or sick, and I'm sure they should get awards, too. But today, Yadi wins. He was the faithful, sweet, and gentle friend you hope for when you get a new puppy.

As sweet as it was with Nurse Yadi today, I hope I get to come to school tomorrow. I'm over this March-sick stuff! I mean, come on!! It's Slice of Life month!

11 comments:

  1. You had me at Yadi! What a beautiful doggy. I have two white dogs myself, and they are attentive when I don't feel well. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better soon, Miss Collins! We missed you today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! If this is your writing on a sick day I can't wait until you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey ms.collins this is Chloe Farmer from 608 and I rememberd that you said you love to hear comments from us and my comment is that i love how you find things like this and turn it into writing pieces that are very enjoyable hopr you get better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you were sick! I hate that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have 5 pets. when i am sick they will follow my every ware.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have 5 pets. when i am sick they will follow my every ware.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh goodness!!! Yadi is a pretty good furry nurse! I think he took care of you really good because your back at school feeling as wonderful as can be!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh goodness!!! Yadi is a pretty good furry nurse! I think he took care of you really good because your back at school feeling as wonderful as can be!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is probably the cutest thing I have ever seen

    ReplyDelete
  11. very sweet!he is like untile you are 100% okay i wont leave you

    ReplyDelete