Sunday, March 29, 2015

Slice of Life, March 29th-- "I Am"

**This format was taken from a book I've used with my students for years (I'll update this blog tomorrow with the book title...it's slipped my mind tonight!). We start the year with "I Am" poems and leave them up for Parent-Teacher Conferences. I find that it always gives me amazing insight into the lives of my sixth graders, and they really enjoy it, too! Here is mine:

I am caring and hopeful.
I wonder why people are hateful to one another.
I hear the wonderful ideas and dreams of my students and am excited for the future.
I see the beautiful leaves beginning to bud in the colors of spring.
I want to make a difference.
I am caring and hopeful.

I pretend that I am in a good mood all the time, even when I’m not.
I feel excited to teach everyday.
I touch my niece’s soft, warm hands and smile.
I worry that I am not doing enough to help my kids.
I cry when I drive through the Joplin tornado zone.
I am caring and hopeful.

I understand that life is short and time flies.
I say that all people should be treated with dignity and respect.
I dream that everyone will have what they need.
I try to be kind to everyone.
I hope that I will see my students be successful and happy in their lives.

I am caring and hopeful.

2 comments:

  1. Great poem, Katy! I am sure the parents love seeing the ones your students write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely must try this format. Thank you so much for sharing it! I loved the refrain of "I am caring and hopeful." Your words are so powerful and meaningful. I hope that you share this with your students!

    ReplyDelete