Saturday, March 28, 2015

Slice of Life, March 28th - "Smells that Make Me Smile"

Today I decided to think about the smells that I deem heavenly...I bet we have a lot in common on this list!

1. Flowers: This smell can instantly relax me. In the spring and summer, I like to walk along the row of roses we have in our backyard. In the winter, just a whiff of flowers can bring me back to the warm summer months in a millisecond!

2. My dogs: To me, a home is not complete without a few dogs running around. Their smell is just one of those things that makes me smile!

3. Coffee: I'm not talking about the sweet, doctored-up stuff; I'm talking about rich, black coffee that tastes as amazing as it smells. I love to bury my nose in the mug of a strong cup of coffee.

4. My school: Every place you go has a special smell, and my school does, too. It's not really describable, but you could walk me in blindfolded and I'd know where I am. I love where I work! :)

5. Holiday potpourri on the stove: The combination of fruit and spice simmering on the stove filling the house is just full of holiday cheer. Even without decorations, it makes a house feel like a Christmas store!

6. My cedar chest: My dad made me a cedar chest about a year ago to use as a storage place for things that are important to me. Every time I open it, it reminds me of him and all the special objects I have stored in there like my mother's, grandmother's, and great-grandmother's handmade quilts.

7. Indian food: I spent 4 months living in India, and I will never forget the smells and tastes I encountered there. The smell of a restaurant or grocery store can instantly take me back across years and thousands of miles.

8. Freshly cut grass: Amazing....especially if I didn't have to cut it! :)

9. The smell after a spring rain: It's the time of the year where rain comes every other day or so to my corner of the world. The musty smell of the ground after that happens creates a few moments of heaven on earth.

I'm sure you had lots in common with me, and lots more that you could add to the list! I hope it reminded you of some of the smells that make you smile.

1 comment:

  1. We do have a lot in common! One thing that stood out to me was how some smells trigger memories. I studied abroad in Rome one summer, and I have no idea what type of flowers they were, but there were some in the yard in front of a school I had to pass on my walk to class. Every once in a while I'll encounter that scent again and it immediately takes me back to that walk!

    ReplyDelete