Friday, March 27, 2015

Slice of Life, March 27th-- "7 Sounds I Love"

As I got in my car this morning to drive to work, I heard one of my favorite sounds in the world: birds singing. It made me think that I might brainstorm some other sounds I love for today's slice. So here goes...

1. The sound of "writing" from my students: Whether they are typing or writing with pencils, I adore that quiet humming that comes from my kids when they are thinking and putting their thoughts on paper.

2. The sound of coffee brewing in the morning: What could be a better wake-up call?

3. My niece's laugh: Her giggles make me smile every time I hear them. :) When she belly laughs, it's totally contagious!

4. My puppy, Yadi, breathing as he sleeps: He is an active little guy, so the sound of him sleeping is sweet indeed! It's the only time he stays still enough to snuggle!

5. My other dog, Tucker, snorting: We're not sure why, but Tucker makes a snorting sound when he's happy. Sometimes it's when you're scratching him, and sometimes he snorts as you walk by, just to let you know he'd like to be pet. It's so unique and cute!

6. A live orchestra: I used to be in band as a high schooler, so I still appreciate the sound of live, well-played music. I don't get to go very often, but when I do, it's heaven. Just the sounds of the instruments tuning gives me chills.

7. The outdoors sounds while you camp: Nothing is quite so relaxing as the sounds of birds, bugs, and other animals making nighttime noises as you lay in a sleeping bag under the open sky. I haven't camped in a long time, but I can still imagine it if I close my eyes.

I hope you enjoyed my list! I'm sure there are a thousand other sounds I could have listed, but these are just a few of my top ones!

5 comments:

  1. I agree with the sounds you have mentioned.my big Golden Retriever kinda snorts too. It's like she is trying to tell us she's happy. Another sense I enjoy when camping is the smell of breakfast cooking over an open fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to agree birds singing is the best, especially in early spring when they have been a way for a while! You have inspired a slice for me now! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post captures so many parts of your day and your life. The last one is especially nostalgic and I love that you "can still imagine it." Thank you also for sharing where the inspiration for this slice came from; it is interesting to hear where everyone finds their muse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snorting is one of my favourites too...but from a friend who is laughing! To me it shows how deeply the person is laughing, and how they have let the laugh take over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One, two and three resonate with me. Sound of coffee brewing any time of the day is a sound to stop to listen to!

    ReplyDelete