Sunday, March 1, 2015

Slice of Life, March 1st: "The Joy of Putting It Off"



Okay, I admit it.

I put this first Slice off.

It was the first thing I thought of this morning, and I've thought of it a zillion times through the day.

I thought of it while I looked out the window at the freshly fallen snow. I remembered it as I inhaled my coffee. I let it creep across my consciousness again while I hugged my puppy close and let his puppy scent fill my nose. It came to my mind as I scrapbooked some pictures from the summer, while I looked at notes from a conference I attended Friday and Saturday, and then even again as I woke up from an impromptu, luxurious Sunday snooze.

The interesting thing to me, a chronic procrastinator familiar with the feeling that accompanies putting things off, is that I didn't have that normal feeling of dread in my stomach as I imagined actually doing the task I was putting off. Instead, I found I actually enjoying putting off my Slice.

What?!

Why, I wondered? And then I realized...

I have been savoring each moment in a new way, finding the small joys of life in the sights and sounds around me, dwelling on clever spins I could put on a title about the smell of my coffee. I was hugging my dog just a moment longer to really "take it in."

It's just the first day of Slice of Life 2015 and already I feel my writing senses perking up.

I'm realizing again that slicing helps me experience life MORE. It makes me wonder why I ever quit last year in April.

I say all that to say, 11-month break or not, it is good to back.

So, fellow Slicers, I wish you everything I've experienced today...a month filled with small, beautiful moments and the joy of writing about them. I wish you 31 days of connecting through comments and feeling the love of the global writing community that is Slice of Life. I wish you a March of slowing down and finding the uniqueness that is your life, all around you.

I guess you could say I wish you a month of the joy of "putting it off" because, truly, in those moments of searching for ideas, you end up finding so much more than an idea. You rediscover your life.

Happy Slice of Life month, everyone. Welcome back!


11 comments:

  1. I love the way you savored each experience of the day. That is true living and makes for a wonderful first Slice!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a nice thought. Close reading life through writing. :) I look forward to rediscovering life this month along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the thing about March slicing - it gets those writing senses of and running. Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the thing about March slicing - it gets those writing senses of and running. Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You nailed it! Why do I stop in April? Except my April was in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like all the great words you put into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like all the great words you put into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad we're "slicing" again! After reading your blog, I am ready for a Sunday cup of coffee and a nap!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello fellow procrastinator! I am glad to be a part of Slice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice approach to procrastination! For some reason I haven't been writing for a while, and it does feel so nice to be back at my keyboard! Here's to a great month of March for us all!

    ReplyDelete