Friday, March 6, 2015

March 6th, Slice of Life-- "I Love You, Kay Kay!"


My niece came to visit yesterday. She is a 3 1/2 year old, blonde-haired, bundle of endless energy. Actually, she gets along quite well with my crazy puppy Yadi. They like to run in a circle through the living room and kitchen, taking turns chasing each other. She is hard to pin down, because she is so incredibly active and talkative. Moments where you get her full attention are few and far between.

She was sitting at the breakfast bar last night, coloring pictures for everyone. Her drawings are a little "interesting"-- mostly interpretations of things she sees in her life, like a worm with spikes, a duck that's orange, a dolphin-creature, or any combination of a million ideas. They usually take a little explaining to understand.

Last night she was busy making a picture for everyone, even Yadi (who ate his). I was sitting across the room when suddenly she jumped up and ran over, picture waving in the air as she crossed the space between us.

She stopped abruptly in front of my chair. Before I hardly had time to look up, she thrust a beautiful orange (somewhat confusing) drawing into my face.

"I love you, Kay Kay!" she whisper-yelled in my face, turned around as fast as she'd come, and tornado-ed away, spinning across the living room floor back to her drawing perch.

My heart melted.

I looked back at her, and said, "I love you, too!" but she was gone.

3-year old moments don't last very long in real time, but they are precious indeed.

5 comments:

  1. Such a bundle of energy, such precious words for you. I love to hear what tiny ones have to say. Their thoughts are so direct. She sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you weave her energy throughout your writing! I can just picture how she "tornado-ed away." What a precious story and memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting to think we're living parallel lives, Katy! What with your Yadi, and my Reilly (golden retriever too), and the fact that we had a visit from my 2 year old grandniece last weekend too! As you so masterfully described her movements...love the tornado move, I could picture our Zelda, the Z woman racing all around with Reilly following her every step of the way!! Love your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely that you captured this sweet moment with this slice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, ladies! Gael, if we're living parallel lives, we must both be pretty lucky ladies, huh? :) Sweet goldens and amazing (grand)nieces...sounds awesome to me!

    ReplyDelete