Thursday, March 5, 2015

March 5th, Slice of Life-- "A Hobby, Rediscovered"


I've always considered myself a scrapbooker. I have an entire, tall cabinet filled with materials I've collected over 15+ years. Paper, stamps, stickers, embellishments of all kinds are crammed inside this space...but I haven't opened it, except on rare occasions, for years.

I didn't give it up consciously. I've developed a condition over the past few years that can make it hard to write, to cut, to do all the things that scrapbooking requires. It just sort of faded out of my life as it became more painful to do. Lately, I've missed it tremendously, and I've also missed the fruits of it. I love looking through old pictures and albums and remembering all the special times. I adore taking pictures, chronicling the present for the future.

A month or so ago, my mom told me about something she saw in a craft store and encouraged me to check it out. It's called "Project Life" and it's a way to "scrapbook" without all the things I can't do anymore!

First, you pick an album. Here's mine:

Don't you just love the bright colors??
Then, you choose a photo sleeve to use to fit your pictures, like this:




Next, you put your pictures in...

Who couldn't save sweet pictures like this? :)
And then you fill the extra spaces with beautiful cards that have decorations, quotes, and small journaling squares...

This is just a sample of a few cards. There are hundreds to choose from!
Last but not least, you journal your memories...



And, viola! You have a page done!



Usually, I do this in many steps; maybe just adding pictures one night, then cards another afternoon, followed by journaling, usually on days off when my hands can rest afterwards.

I can't tell you how good it feels to be creative again! I've missed losing myself in a project, and I've missed the feeling that comes from looking back over the pages I've created.

It may not be exactly the same as it was before, but someday, when I'm feeling better, all my supplies will still be there for me. For now, this is just what I need. It's allowed me to rekindle a passion, rediscover a hobby, and once again lose myself in the beauty of memories and creation.

I'm so thankful for that.


7 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you have found a way to continue your hobby! I am not creative in that way at all, so I really admire people like you who are. I'd love to see a finished product sometime. I love the line about "chronicling the present for the future." What a powerful statement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did some scrapbooking when my children were younger, but after doing two big scrapbooks for each of them, I lost steam. I like this way because you could do a lot of the extras still, but you don't have to and it still looks good. I'm glad you've found a modified way that can still get you wonderful results. I may just have to try it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creativity is so important, but it is so easy to lose with busyness. I was a quilter and I miss it so much. So glad you are able to find a way back to your hobby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scrapbooking is a HOT or COLD hobby for me. When I am in the mood, I can't stop, but when I am not in the mood, I could just toss out all that clutter in my craft room. Project life looks really fun, I think I could get into that. I have 4 HUGE scrapbooks from teaching that I've been working on the past year---chronicling nearly 10 years in education. They are so special and I am so proud of them---I will probably do a post on scrapbooking at some point this month too, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love losing myself in a hobby...great line! I loved the way you mixed photos with steps with narrative! Made me want to scrapbook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new way of scrapbooking looks like the ONLY way to scrapbook. I find the process daunting but your new resource has me thinking I might actually try it.
    "Chronicling the present for the future" will be the name of my scrapbook...when I start it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in a similar space with quilting, so I can understand the feeling of loss. I'm glad you've found a way to recreate to at least some degree the satisfaction of creating a beautiful page of memories.

    ReplyDelete