Monday, March 23, 2015

March 23rd, Slice of Life--"An Unexpected Bump Turned Blessing"

I had to buy a walking cane over Spring Break. I have a neurological disorder that is progressing into my limbs, and I was pretty bummed to have to "give up" and get something to help me walk. I'm a stubborn person by nature, and I was dreading my first day back to school, knowing I would have to explain it to the kids and my coworkers. I was embarrassed, and honestly, just frustrated that I had to deal with it at all.

My day could not have been more opposite of what I expected.

It started with my pod girls (my 3 teacher neighbors) expressing first concern, and then offering to "bedazzle" my cane. All of a sudden, instead of hating it, I was thinking about where I could buy another one in a more fun color! Instantly, my spirits lifted.

Next, the kids could not have been more understanding. They took it in stride and just went with the flow. Not a hint of judgement or ridicule...they showed maturity beyond their 11 and 12 years.

All day coworkers politely and sweetly asked what happened, and I explained. All the reactions I was (stupidly) expecting were not to be found. No one treated me like a victim or made me feel singled out. I could not have been more encouraged by the kindness of my friends.

All I can say is that I am blessed. I could not have asked for more understanding from a group of people. They boosted me up when I needed it and helped me see this little cane in a whole new perspective.

Because of them, I can see that it's going to be okay, and I couldn't be more thankful.

3 comments:

  1. It is nice to read stories of kindness from other students and colleagues. It sounds like you teach in a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that this day turned out well. You are blessed to have friends and students, too, who are so kind. I'm sure that stubbornness of yours is a good trait to have when it keeps you going...and it sounds like you have a good dose of wisdom, too, to know when it's time to do what is needed. I don't see any "giving up" going on here. Glad you are looking toward the future being thankful, with confidence that it is going to be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you have such a supportive community. Good luck adapting. :-)

    ReplyDelete