Sunday, March 22, 2015

March 22nd, Slice of Life'--"Help! My Oven Locked Me Out!"

Beep-Beep

Beep-Beep

The timer for my lunch went off around noon today. I went to the oven to open it up and pull out my food, and, surprise! It was stuck.

I pulled again. Harder. STUCK.

I looked at the display where the temperature was holding steady: 350 degrees. Not good.

I noticed something else on the display...the word "locked" was flashing. Locked?! The oven?? Are you KIDDING me?

I looked into the dark oven. Sure enough, there was my food, continuing to cook at 350 while I pulled at my locked oven. Had I hit something wrong? Can an oven even lock itself? What in the world was happening??

Smoke began to come out, slowly at first, and then at a more steady pace. The dogs were swarming the kitchen, barking and whining as the smoke alarms blared. I was in full panic mode at this point. I yelled for help, promising that I hadn't hit any extra buttons! I swore!

We fanatically googled how to open a locked oven and after trying all the not-so-helpful hints, we started trying to cut the power to the appliance. Why is it that when you're trying to cut the power in a hurry that all the fuses are labeled wrong? It took forever (okay, maybe 45 seconds), but finally we got the power cut and started airing out the house.

I was blaming myself for doing something wrong to cause the whole catastrophe, but it turns out it was a malfunction of some kind. I am so thankful that someone else was home at the time, because I'm not sure I was in the state of mind to think through that problem rationally.

Whew!

And, by the way, I'd like to chat with the person who gave my oven the ability to lock itself in the first place!! Augh!

17 comments:

  1. OMG!!! I wrote a post about an oven. What is it with them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will file this in my memory bank and hopefully never have to make a withdrawal! But good to know ahead of time. It must have gotten confused with the clean function that locks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So scary! I didn't even know an oven could lock itself! I'm heading into my kitchen to check out my oven now. Glad everything ended up ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So scary! I didn't even know an oven could lock itself! I'm heading into my kitchen to check out my oven now. Glad everything ended up ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! I didn't know ovens could lock unless you were in cleaning mode. How scary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is scary! One of my biggest pet peeves about technology is when they try to make things that do the thinking for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is scary! One of my biggest pet peeves about technology is when they try to make things that do the thinking for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! That would have been scary!! I'm glad that there is internet to look things up on it.!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is insane! I didn't know that ovens can self-lock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't even know oven could lock! That is insane. I would of been upset if that happened to me. I am so glad that you are ok. Phew!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't even know oven could lock! That is insane. I would of been upset if that happened to me. I am so glad that you are ok. Phew!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never see were the oven can lock by itself! I guess thing is cause it stuck it. Maybe :/

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's crazy! Self lock? I've never heard of that. Well, I've never heard that it could lock. I knew there was a lock button though. Well, atleast you didn't have a real fire.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My house almost burned down for the same reason as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My house almost burned down for the same reason as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so weird. I have never heard of an oven that can lock itself. I bet you were scared for you and your family. Thank goodness you are safe though.

    ReplyDelete