Friday, March 20, 2015

March 20th, Slice of Life-- "No Matter How Long the Winter"

No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow.
-Proverb

Unlike many places in the U.S. today, in my town, it actually felt like spring today! I woke up to a lovely fog covering the streets, reminding me of the Carl Sandburg poem and the fog that "comes on little cat feet." It made everything look misty and wistful. The rest of the day was a warm-ish, cool, damp day...the perfect weather to make all the little green things poking out of the ground continue to feel comfortable coming out! I love this kind of weather. In one day, winter feels like a memory from long ago.

As I looked for spring quotes to start my slice, I came across the one at the top. I think it's interesting. It has a little less to do with the weather than I intended, but it is what spring is about to me.

As I've mentioned in previous slices, I really do like all the seasons. There isn't any temperature that I hate-- each season seems to have a magic all it's own.

Spring is different from all of them, though. Spring is so sudden in its coming, so redemptive in its appearing that it is almost impossible not to draw life lessons from its beauty. Winter may cause a sleep to fall over the land, a grayness, a chill that seems never to lift, but spring-- in one day, it seems-- can undo all of that!

Overnight the grass begins to turn green, the trees bud, and a daffodil blooms while snow still covers its leaves. Spring is transformative.

This quote is about way more than the weather to me. No matter how hard things may seem at the time, spring is coming. Look past the grayness; spring is near. Don't despair over the deep chill some days bring, because the new life of spring is around the corner.

It doesn't matter how long winter lasts, spring will come to all of us. What a wonderful message the season brings us! Happy first day of spring, friends!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the positive message. Temps warmed up for us and our snow melted. I saw green shoots yesterday. We are having a cold weekend with a wintry mix though. It's good to remember that winter won't be forever.

    ReplyDelete