Friday, March 7, 2014

Slice of Life, March 7th - "The Little Secret Behind My Morning Smile"

There are some mornings I just feel like I can't move. I can't get the covers off. I can't figure out what to wear.  I can't get out the door.  I can't get a smile on my face...until...

...I get into the car. Then it all changes for me.

Before I pull out of the driveway, I pull up a wonderful little app on my phone, choose the station, and turn up the volume as high as it will go. As loudly as I can, I sing whatever comes on. I sometimes wonder who is watching, or if I'll ever have to explain myself to a coworker or student that I happen to cross paths with on my drive. Sometimes I try to pretend that I'm actually just "talking" on the phone when I'm parked at stoplights!

My favorite stations are anything with Disney and Broadway songs (I know, I know...don't judge me.). From October to December, it's Christmas music. If I don't know the words, I skip the song until I find one I DO know all the words to. Sometimes listening to music is enough to change your mood, but not for me in the morning. Singing at the top of my lungs in the corniest way possible is the ONLY way to go. I imagine I've got an audience and millions of people are applauding at my beautiful voice (which is actually NOT beautiful at all, believe me). I make myself laugh every morning at how silly I must look and sound. The worse the mood, the more dramatic my drive to work gets.

So what's up with this strange ritual? Well, it comes down to this: no one wants me at school in the mood I wake up in.

I'm not friendly, sweet, kind, fun, or anything even close to what a teacher should be. By the time I've commuted 10 minutes with a personal sing-a-long, though, things have turned around. The day is brighter. I may not be perfect, but I've got a smile on my face.

So, if mornings are rough for you like they are for me, find something to make yourself laugh, or just something you enjoy, like singing. Make some space for it, and watch your days change!

And, Webb City folks, watch out for me in the mornings...it is quite a show!




7 comments:

  1. So, why do you wait until you are in the car to change your mood? Why don't you just start out singing and smiling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had the gift of instant morning "happiness", but I don't. It takes the alone time in the car to allow me to relax and get my day started with a smile!

      Delete
  2. I so can relate to this piece. Waking up in the morning is definitely a challenge, and with this crummy weather, my mood is usually crummy as well. I love that you use music to pump you up for you day...it's something I do, too and it makes a world of difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music can lift us out of a bad mood. Broadway songs are the best for this...and singing along, in the car, being your own audience is the best. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's something about the confines of a car that makes us feel like we are on our own stage. It's a safe place to vocalize even if we don't sing exactly on pitch. (Although I am sure you my dear have a lovely singing voice!). So sing away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really feel like music speaks to me no matter what mood I am in. It always amazes me when a song comes on that I really needed to hear or is exactly how I am feeling! Music is something that is on in our house more than the TV! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Music is so powerful. And no judging....Disney and Broadway make great songs to sing along to!

    ReplyDelete