Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Slice of Life, March 5th-- "The Anatomy of a Compliment"

I got a compliment yesterday, and it absolutely changed my day.

It made me feel so good I could hardly stand it. I felt like I was smiling all over and just glowing. I have a feeling it will be the kind of compliment that I carry with me always in my back pocket, the kind you pull out and listen to again in your mind, just to live it all over again.

As I drove home, I started thinking, "What made that compliment so special to me?" I mean, there are compliments, and then there are these kind of compliments. Here are the conclusions I came to:

1. It was specific. It was not a "good job" cookie-cutter compliment; it told exactly what they appreciated in detail about what I had done.

2. It was about something I had been working on especially hard. After putting my heart into this particular "thing" for a really long time, someone noticed and mentioned it!

3. It was totally unexpected. I had no idea someone was watching, let along noticing.

4. It was from someone that didn't have to say something. You expect some people to feel obligated to compliment you every once in awhile. This wasn't one of those people.

5. There was an audience. Not only did this person make me feel like I was walking on cloud nine, they made me look good in front of others! Wow!

I have to tell you, this was big to me. It's made me feel so fabulous, that I want to inspire others to do the same for someone around you today!

I challenge you to find one person in your life--maybe someone on the "fringes" of your life--and just make their day. Give them a specific compliment about something they're been working hard at in an unexpected way. If you can pull it off, do it in front of an audience of people that will also applaud and celebrate that person.

If you can make someone feel as amazing as I feel right now, you will have made a HUGE difference! Trust me.


6 comments:

  1. What a great idea! So glad you got the compliment and even happier that you shared it with us! A wonderful challenge to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this happen to me yesterday. A gaggle of third grade girls, no less. "You look cute today Mrs. W!" I walked around taller the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all great pieces of advice, and also, a nice reminder of how powerful a few words can be.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing thing, a compliment. Your "glee" shines through this whole post. I love it. And what a good reminder for all of us.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful advice! Your voice shows your sheer pleasure in this moment of your day and how you'll cherish it for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the title and how you named the things that made this compliment so special. This advice applies to giving comments on writing as well!

    ReplyDelete