Sunday, March 2, 2014

Slice of Life, March 2nd-- "My Top 10 List of Lemonade-Makers"

I've been thinking a lot lately about the things that make me happy. Not the events, people, or places, necessarily (although I have a TON of those, too), but the "things" that put a smile on my face, insert calm in the craziness, or give me a restart on a rough day. I think having a list like this is important; it's part of the journey towards knowing yourself. It always helps to have a few items in your "bad day toolbox" that can help you turn it around when things are spiraling towards serious bad day material! When life looks negative, you have to make lemonade out of your lemons!

So...in no particular order (other than what came to mind first!), here's my list. Maybe we'll have some things in common!

1. Coffee: Mostly I like it black, but occasionally I get in the mood for a fancy drink from Starbucks. I can't imagine my morning without the sound and smell of a coffee maker brewing. I think a coffee cup is attached to my hand everyday until lunch time. It may not be the healthiest thing ever, but it's not the unhealthiest thing either (I rationalize to myself...)!


My birthday present this year--coffee galore!

2. Cards: I like writing notes, and I like getting them. Maybe it's old-fashioned, but snail mail makes me smile. Stationary in general is just fun! All the colors, the designs...I could spend some serious money on pretty paper!

3. Chocolate: Predictable, right? There's not much too say; it's just plain amazing.

4. Fires: I love to start a fire in the fireplace and keep it going all day. I love the warmth, the brightness, and the constant movement. I feel like a fire is a sponge for all my thoughts; when I stare at it, I instantly feel relaxed and calmer.

A fire I lit during a snow day this year.
5. Flowers: The first time I pulled up to the Middle School the rosebushes in front were in full bloom, and I thought it was the most beautiful school I'd ever seen. Flowers can change any room and make almost any situation more bearable. In the spring and summer, I have fresh flowers from the backyard in my bedroom and bathroom all the time.

From the rose garden in the yard
6. Gardens: Anytime I've had space for one, I've had a garden. Even when I only had a small back porch, I grew herbs in containers. It made my back porch look like a jungle, but I loved it! I like making things grow and the process of planting, watering, and nurturing. It's one of my favorite summer activities. When I get home from school in the early fall, I like to go wading through the garden and eat cherry tomatoes straight off the vine.

Can you tell what we're growing here?
7. A nature picture: I know this may sound weird, but I can totally lose myself in a picture for a few minutes. My favorites are beautiful scenery photographs, like mountains or forests or rivers. I love to stare at them and imagine that I'm there.

8. Journals: Writing about things helps me understand myself and my own thinking. I love that blank pages can only listen and don't judge my thoughts. I like making my writing sound better, too, and journal writing is the perfect time and place to do that.

9. Hot tea: I know, I know...another drink! I have to include tea, though, because just choosing what one I am going to brew makes me happy! I have a certain kind for every mood, or even a headache. I like to serve tea to people, too. I've helped a lot of friends with a cup of tea, and the act of sharing makes me feel good, too!

Just one of the tins of tea I have at home. You should see the school stash!

10. Candles: I like how just a smell can instantly change your mood. I like the flickering in a dark room. I like that I have hoarded on-sale candles and gift candles so that I can choose which one I want depending on how I'm feeling. A room lit by candle light alone is just magical.

Now that I've shared my list, what's on yours? What are your favorite lemonade-makers? Share below!

14 comments:

  1. I could just say ditto and I would not be lying! I would add exercise, or rather how I feel after. Getting BACK INTO BED after making coffee, knowing that I have the whole day to do whatever I want (doesn't happen often enough). Having all my sons home and sitting together doing anything. I am realizing I am going off task here- these are the things that bring me joy, but not the things I can pull out when times are challenging. really aside from the things on your list I would only add cleaning out and organizing- whether it be drawers, or files, or my closet; getting rid of things I once thought were valuable or important and no longer are is incredibly satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could truthfully add exercise and cleaning to my list, but it would be a total lie. I might pull it off on a blog, but everyone who knows me would know the truth! :)

      Delete
  2. I think my list would look a lot like yours! In addition to the nature pictures, I would add getting out in nature. We used to live in a state forest (my husband was property manager), and I would head to the woods when life got to be too much. Could I borrow this idea for a writing invitation to share with my students? I think they would enjoy it, and it is something good for them to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so jealous of you living in a state forest! What a DREAM! And, yes, of course you can use this for a writing lesson. I hope it goes well for you! It was fun to write.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I miss living in the state forest. Even better, it is the smallest in the system and most people didn't know it existed!

      Delete
  3. I agree with the coffee and chocolate. They're even better when you mix them together in a Carmel Mocha from Starbucks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. We talk about making lists, this is a very visual way to make lists and add details. I might piggy ]back on this for a classroom idea if it's okay with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I hope it helps. It was fun to write, for sure!

      Delete
  5. I really like your list-we have some similar "necessities" of life! Oh, and enjoy your snow/ice/sleet/freezing rain day. I am semi-mad at you girlie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree with you about chocolate. All my students know that way to my heart is with a Crunch bar or a fabulous container of icing! Those two things can fix just about anything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tea, flowers, and gardening speak to my soul. I've decided to take on canning this year. I'm thinking pickles, jalapeƱos, and okra. Any tips for growing or canning these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jalapenos have done really well for us the last few years, but last year our cucumbers didn't make it...bad seeds. Haven't tried okra, but I got some wonderful, freshly picked okra from Mrs. O in our pod. She also cans. I think she might be your go-to person for those questions!!

      Delete
  8. The first item on my lemonade list is: take a nap. When I miss my mother, I find a sunbeam to lay down in and sleep. I don't drink coffee or eat chocolate, but a nice can of tuna always brightens my day. I would eat it more often if I had thumbs to open it.
    All the best,
    xo
    Love Pooh (a cat)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enJOYed reading your list!

    ReplyDelete