Friday, March 28, 2014

Slice of Life, March 28th-- "My Hour as a Middle School Nacho Lady"

PTO school fundraiser night
The cafeteria is full of parents, middle schoolers, teachers, and siblings.
The concession stand is my post,
My job for an hour.

Behind the rows of tables,
I man the nachos.
Chips, liquid cheese, and plastic bowls are my tools
To create Tex-Mex greatness.
$1.50 will buy you the chance to try my creation.

I listen for the words, yelled across the small, loud space--
"One nacho, please!"
I jump into action, pouring fresh cheese onto crunchy chips
Quickly pushing another masterpiece into the hands of a hungry buyer.

The room is full of buzzing--
Students are talking excitedly in pairs.
Parents are standing in small groups.
Tables are full of mini pizza parties of middle school kids.
The timer in the gym blares again.
The crowd roars from the stands.

The pace is fast, but the view is perfect.
For one hour, I am a nacho-creator and people-observer.
I see smiles, silliness, hugs, and humor from my corner of the room.
I see my school-- my community, together
Laughing and enjoying each other's company,
Working to achieve a common goal for the common good of our students.
And I am proud to be part of it.
Even if I'm just the nacho lady.


5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice way to spend an hour! (Never would have said that before about manning a concession stand!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute. Makes me miss high school and the simplicity of enjoying a Friday night basketball game. I only hope when my daughter is old enough it will still be this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your poem! What great descriptions! I copied you with my post...http://kristinemblog.wordpress.com/2014/03/29/fundraiser-nacho-lady/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made being "a nacho-creator and people-observer" a wonderful experience to imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like fun! I love the description of the excitement and energy in the room.

    ReplyDelete