Thursday, March 27, 2014

Slice of Life, March 27th -- "Avoiding Regret"

“The pain of discipline is far less than the pain of regret.”
Sarah Bombell, Olympic synchronized swimmer

This quote hung in my room for years; it is one of my all time favorites. It's been on my mind lately.

I think to understand these words-- to really understand them-- you must have experienced the pain of regret that comes from a lack of discipline. It is one of the most heartbreaking kinds of pain that I know.

Discipline is what causes you do what is necessary to achieve your goals. It is the hardest part of doing great things in life. Discipline isn't fun, but it is part of a well-lived life. It is what causes people to rise above "the norm" and accomplish amazing things.

Regret is the feeling that you could have done something, but knowing, in your heart, that you didn't have the follow-through to finish. It is one of the worst feelings I know. To feel as though I could have made a difference or reached a goal, but didn't have the mental discipline to keep going until it was done, is a feeling I avoid at all costs.

Regret can haunt you. There is no routine or discipline that is more painful than the disappointment of not achieving a dream. 

Goals, professional and personal, are not reached by wishful thinking or just positive attitudes; they are conquered in the trenches everyday, sometimes doing the same thing over and over again with little measurable gain. 

But, the work is always worth it in the end. When goals are worth the fight, they taste even sweeter in victory.

5 comments:

  1. Funny I have been thinking about this same subject lately too. How do we instill this discipline and grit in our students? This has been a hot topic for a few years now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that quote. I think I needed the reminder today, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed this reminder today, too. Thanks, Katy, for offering it up as your slice today! :) b

    ReplyDelete
  4. Profound! I have been thinking about this, too; I think that is why I like to challenge my self with the SOL writing challenge, Good Reads book challenges, etc. I know that I will always meet my goal--giving up is NOT an option. But goals have to be incremental, attainable, too. Hard work brings a lot of miracles that seem ordinary to those who understand the hours and effort behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your statement that goals aren't reached by wishful thinking. How true is that? It's kind of a "kick in the pants" reminder we have to put some action & effort into reaching a goal.

    ReplyDelete