Sunday, March 23, 2014

Slice of Life, March 23rd-- "For It's the Last Day of Spring Break"

I should...
I should finish unpacking.
I should go to the grocery store.
I should straighten up the kitchen.
I should tackle "the list."

But I can't.
You see,
For it's the last day of Spring Break.

Please notice that it's sunny outside--maybe chilly, but sunny.
The Sunday paper is waiting.
The coffee is still brewing.
The daffodils have bloomed in the front yard.
The birds have returned from the south--I hear their jubilant voices.
I have yet to finish "the list" here in Spring Break.

There are still some moments left for me to enjoy here.
Some quiet, precious, tranquil moments.
Moments that can only be lived now, not later.

Be still, my mind.
Monday will come.
The list will get done.
The alarm will go off.
The week will begin.
All will be well.

But this moment?
It cannot be replaced, relived, redone.
It begs to be lived in its silence and full, thoughtful detail.
It speaks to me, "Don't move too fast. I am leaving soon."
It reminds me that its simplicity is its gift to me.

And so, you see, I should...
But I can't.
For it's the last day of Spring Break.


4 comments:

  1. Katy,
    I'm on the first part of spring break as you are on your last day. I know that sooner than I wish I will feel just like you feel right now. It's the last day of spring break. Sit back. Enjoy it.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pace and patter of this stanza
    Be still, my mind.
    Monday will come.
    The list will get done.
    The alarm will go off.
    The week will begin.

    I am looking forward to spring break and already feeling a little dread about its end:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy these last moments. I'm just beginning our break, but soon enough I'll be where you are now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the way you choose to savor the break, rather than get worked up in the frenzy that so often kidnaps us from our vacation time!

    ReplyDelete