Friday, March 21, 2014

Slice of Life, March 21st-- "Home"

I overheard a woman this morning talking to a co-worker. She lives and works in the part of Florida I vacationed in for a week. On my first day there, I wrote a post about how just looking at a palm tree made me over-the-moon excited and happy. This morning, as I moped around getting ready to leave the resort, this is what I heard:

"I'm getting ready to take some vacation time," said the lady, excitement in her voice.

"So where do you want to go?" said her friend.

"Anywhere without a palm tree!" she replied.

They laughed together.

I digested.

My oasis was the very place she wanted to escape from. It's all about perspective, isn't it? I wonder if she'd be happy visiting my area of the country. It's not Florida, but, then again, we don't have palm trees either!

I've tried to think about that today as I've traveled home. Maybe my little town isn't a vacation spot on the the map for anyone, but, you know what?

It's a pretty special place, too, and I'm glad to be here.

3 comments:

  1. It's funny what a difference a change of perspective can make. I can't imagine anyone coming to our corner of the world to vacation, but people do show up to visit quite nearby! (And no palm trees in sight here, either.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perspective is everything, isn't it? What a great lesson for all of us to learn, and sometimes more than once. I love Florida & the ocean & palm trees too (I live in Colorado.) but guess one could take them for granted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I would love to see a palm tree...but consider what else palm trees bring: tourists, traffic, really hot weather in the summer, spring-breakers, etc. You have me thinking -- would my town be a vacation for her? Love how you captured a thought-provoking conversation and shared it!

    ReplyDelete