Saturday, March 1, 2014

Slice of Life, March 1st-- "Don't Hate Me, But..."

I know I keep my snow decorations up too long. I know everyone's ready for Spring. Me too. I don't really want to go to school until June. I love summer and sleeping in and the hot sun rays on my face.

Really.

I do.

Do you believe me? I hope you do, because I'm about to tell you something terrible about myself.

(whispering) I still want a snow day next week.

I know, I know. We've had 10. LITERALLY. But, I do. I just can't help myself. In fact, I still have this under my mattress.


It's been there all winter. I never took it out. Not even once.

It's nestled under my sheets that look like this:



The truth is I love snow days. I don't always love snow and cold and ice, but I ADORE snow DAYS.

They are like magic to me. The early morning phone call...the T.V. news scroll with the school name...the warm, dark house...the quiet white streets before anyone tries to drive...it's like a present, wrapped just for me every time.

Don't get me wrong--I love my job, but there is just something...something I can't quite put in words that takes over when the forecast starts looking extra wintery. The hope overwhelms me and I find my heart full of one single wish expressed in 7 little words I've said a thousand times as student and teacher:

I. hope. we. have. a. snow. day.

And, the truth is, I do. I really do. I won't regret it, complain in June (cross my heart!) or whine about make-up days. I'll just love and treasure every moment of that precious little day if it comes.

And my wish for you? Hope, enjoy, treasure...if it happens. Summer will be here soon enough.

Live your snow days with all your heart.

Check out our student slices here.

9 comments:

  1. I love this post. I usually feel bad for those teachers who have to make up their snow days. Now I can be happy for those who love snow days so much that making them up in June is totally worth it. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit it. I love a good snow day too! I agree, there is a magic to a snow day. It is supposed to be treasured and I do! I will also admit, I will probably still complain when I'm making up those days in June. :) I hope you get your snow day wish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that spoon is certainly responsible for a whole mess of snow! We are due for another snow day on Monday - and I am done with snow days, shovels, snow. But I can see that you are not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you. Snow days are a gift. After 13 of them this year so far (and more possible this week), I'm feeling quite rich! I still have my "let it snow" garden flag out and it's still snowing on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in love with this post and the memories of snow-day hopes before I moved to San Diego. Thank you for the spurred memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, I could never hate you. Ever! I know how you feel about snow days. Your spoon under the mattress trick has a life of its own now. Do you realize how many of our students still have spoons under their mattress? It has been great fun & I know these kids will always remember the "tricks" to getting a snow day from Miss Collins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked it when you said I never took my spoon out from my bed and that you still want more snow days. I still want snow days too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms. Collins, Although I do appreciate your love of snow days, please understand my strong dislike of getting up and driving 30 miles at 4:15 in the morning. Please excuse me for not sharing your love of the snow day. I would also appreciate it if you would refrain from teaching students how to make a snow day happen. But, I must admit I love the passion and love how you have gotten your students involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Cooper, I am so sorry for causing you so much lost sleep this winter. I hope the above post helps you understand my passion. It runs deep. I am taking the snow decorations down this week, if that helps my rep any! On another note, though...thank you for visiting and reading! Slice of Life is so much fun!

      Delete