Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Slice of Life, March 19th-- "This Moment Brought to You Because of Winn Dixie"

I wrote a few days ago about my first encounter with the real Winn Dixie grocery store. It was an exciting moment which led me to add a new item to my Spring Break Bucket List: shop at a Winn Dixie before going home.

So, in my pursuit of that goal, I dragged the family to the supermarket this afternoon for a quick trip through the store for a couple of things. Of course, a short list always grows once inside the store, and it wasn't much time before our arms were loaded with mid-vacation essentials: the pineapple I was craving, raisin bran, diet soda, granola bars, a loaf of bread, and several other must-haves.

We met at the front of the store after our foraging, carefully balancing our food finds. We were attracted to the self-checkout by the allure of no lines and a quick exit. Hurrying, the three of us pounced on the open checkout, beeping our items through the scanner with gusto.

Things started going downhill fast.

The woman in the machine started talking to us. "Please place your item in the bagging area," she politely, but firmly said. We tried again. Our definition of the bagging area was clearly misguided. The woman repeated herself, louder this time and more authoritatively.

I then realized an even more serious error. We didn't have a Winn Dixie savings card! We were being charged the full price for every item we were purchasing!

The tension dialed up a notch as I went in search of an employee to help us sign up for a card.

When I found him, I asked if we could please get a Winn Dixie card. He took in the situation, looked me up and down, and asked nicely if we were visiting from out of state. I would like to go back to the store and ask him how he knew on his first guess, even if the answer would hurt my feelings. He thoughtfully offered to use the store card to help us, rather than having us sign up. Smart man.

I turned with him to walk back to our check-out area.

By the time we had returned, the polite woman's monotone voice was echoing through the whole store, repeating infraction after infraction that we had somehow committed in 3 short minutes. The groceries were in the wrong place, the produce wasn't being weighed right....every sentence that poor machine had been programmed to say was being yelled all at once. At us!

I had a moment where I wasn't sure what to do. Put my hands up like a criminal? Drop everything and exit the store in defeat? Melt into the linoleum in embarrassment? What HAD we done to create such a moment of mayhem? It felt as if the whole store was looking at us. Actually, I think they were.

There we were, the tourists, who couldn't even figure out how to use the self-checkout at the local Winn Dixie.

Vacation humiliation.

Thankfully, the kind young man rescued us. He quickly typed in super-secret codes while machine-lady continued to chastise all of us.

She stopped.

We paid.

He saved us.

We gathered our badly-packed bags and ducked out of the store. It was finally over.

Bucket list: CHECK.

9 comments:

  1. So sorry you didn't have a better time but how cool that you stopped in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the time we had returned, the polite woman's monotone voice was echoing through the whole store, repeating infraction after infraction that we had somehow committed in 3 short minutes. The groceries were in the wrong place, the produce wasn't being weighed right....every sentence that poor machine had been programmed to say was being yelled all at once. At us!"
    I am so sorry I laughed at your demise here!!! But I had this happen to me, another state, another store, and swore to never use self check out again!!! :))) Thank you for posting! :))))))
    http://parentingandpedagogy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a delightful slice --- and so well written. I truly enjoyed stopping by and sharing your story. I had to laugh as I read, though I am sure it wasn't a bit funny at the time. You so carefully carved out the details of the day. You created tension at the checkout. The picture in my mind of that clerk is interesting indeed. Often in the post you changed your length of sentences which effectively changed the pace of the reading at different parts of your story.

    I just pictured you at the end of your trip to the story trying to decide what to do. "I had a moment where I wasn't sure what to do. Put my hands up like a criminal? Drop everything and exit the store in defeat? Melt into the linoleum in embarrassment? What HAD we done to create such a moment of mayhem?"

    Well, now you've been to Winn Dixie.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely not funny at the time, but this made for an excellent slice of life story, Katy! And you ticked something off of your bucket list. ;)

    How would you feel about allowing me to feature this piece of your writing in my daily "be inspired" section? Please e-mail me at stacey{at}staceyshubitz{dot}com by Sat., 3/22 to let me know if that'd be okay.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey, I emailed you, but never heard back! I hope I sent it to the right place! It would be an honor to be featured. Thank you so much!! --Katy :)

      Delete
  6. I hate those self checkout lines if I have more than 1 or 2 items. You brilliantly capture the frustration that automated machine creates. At least you never have to go back in that store again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I laughed as I read this! I have never shopped at a Winn Dixie, although I definitely would seek one out if I ever got to a state that had one, but we have those automated checker machines where I shop. I hate them and never use them unless I happen to get to the store before 6:30 am, when that's all that they have. It generally ends disastrously, or with me having to be bailed out by a live person!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this slice, you put us right there with you in the self-checkout lane. Glad you can check this one off your bucket list.

    ReplyDelete