Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Slice of Life, March 18th-- "My Thoughts So Far"

Here are a few of my musings about SOL so far...

1. It's hard. Really, really hard. Harder than I ever thought.

2. It's rewarding. So much more rewarding than I imagined writing could be.

3. It's become part of my life in a way that I didn't expect. I look at life differently, constantly asking the question, "Is there a slice in that moment?"

4. It's become part of my family's life. "Are you going to blog about that?" sighed a family member today when something funny happened. I laughed when I realized this solo event has turned out to be a family affair.

5. It's changed my students. I have seen growth, perseverance, and dedication from my 6th graders that goes beyond wanted a slice of pizza or a t-shirt. They are doing this for their own reasons: to prove it to themselves or someone else, to express their minds, to publish to a global audience, to stretch as writers. It's an amazing thing to watch.

6. I am so proud of what I've written. When I look back over 18 days of blogs, I see my own growth and thoughts compiled in the most unique way.

7. I am going to miss it so much. The 13 days left in March feel like an eternity and a nano-second all wrapped up into one feeling. Maybe some SOL vets can speak to this feeling and what you do on April 1st!!


4 comments:

  1. I felt the same way last year (and again this year). It is hard...and rewarding. I learn so much and love the record of my growth and the affirmation of comments. I haven't tried slicing with my students, but there is next year! And it doesn't end March 31. The pace just slows down to once a week on Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit the nail on the head with this line, " look at life differently, constantly asking the question, "Is there a slice in that moment?" That is what happens when I write every day. SOME THINGS in my life fall by the wayside, like exercise....but my heart grows several sizes in March!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree as well. It will be strange to not blog daily. Some days I have quite a bit to say, other days not so much. I do love reading your words of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could so relate to most of your musings. Especially the 1st one. I almost decided not to write this year, but I'm so glad I did. I look forward to reading more of your slices.

    ReplyDelete