Monday, March 17, 2014

Slice of Life, March 17th-- "The Taste of Anticipation"


“Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.” 

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

I love to anticipate. 

In fact, anticipation is one of my favorite things about teaching. In a job that follows a schedule so closely and so similarly each year, looking forward is a pleasure. I look forward to all parts of my year: the summers and the holidays, of course, but also the first school supplies that show up on the shelf in July, the first day of school, decorating the room, the parties. 

I was almost tarred and feathered for my anticipation of snow days this year. What can I say? It's another thing to anticipate that just makes me happy.

Last Friday about 6 minutes before Spring Break started a co-worker looked at me and said, "What other job lets you have this feeling several times a year?" We just grinned at each other. Kindred "anticipating" spirits. 

Naturally, to everything in life there is a balance that is necessary. You can't live in the future and be unhappy in the present. But I have found that looking forward to the natural flow of life--the traditions, the birthdays, the holidays, and the everyday moments that only come once or twice a year--makes life fun. 

I heard a study that found that planning a vacation made people happier than actually going on one! I think that might be taking it a little far, but the point is well made.

Anticipating is underrated! What are you looking forward to these days?


3 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right. The anticipation of the routines of school life are exciting! Anticipating spring break in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been anticipating going on a 20th anniversary cruise this summer with my wonderful husband. Almost daily we check the website where we are registered with Carnival and it gives us our countdown of the number of days until we leave! It's made all of these yucky cold days bearable knowing that in June we are headed for the tropics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This week I am anticipating our spring break, which begins Friday!

    ReplyDelete