Sunday, March 16, 2014

Slice of Life, March 16th--"The Power of a Palm Tree"

Yesterday I took a "selfie" with a palm tree.

For real.

And, yes, there is a reason you're not looking at it below. First, it is a really bad idea, taking a picture with a tree. Second, I look supremely happy-- not the "cool" happy, more like the "I just won the lottery and my own private island all at once" happy. The smile isn't cute, it's scary.

It was what really happened, though, when we pulled over at a gas station on our trip to the coast and I saw the first palm tree of the trip. No matter that it was at a GAS STATION. It was just so excited to see signs of vacation, I'm pretty sure I skipped over, hugged the tree, and took the dumbest picture known to man.

This brings me to my title: The Power of a Palm Tree. It may have been a bad idea to document the moment with a camera, but the moment itself was pretty special. That tree was a symbol to me.

According to Dictionary.com a "symbol" is...

"something used for or regarded as representing something else; a material object representing 
something, often something immaterial; emblem, token, or sign"

In other words, that wasn't just a tree to me. It was vacation, relaxation, fun, joy, getting-away, and warmth all rolled into one bark-covered, woody plant. 

Bless it's little heart. It got the full brunt of my spring-break-itis when I spotted it yesterday afternoon. I hope, when it's your spring break week, that you find something symbolic like I did that reignites you, refuels you, and gives you the much-needed break that we all--students and teachers--need at this time of year.

I hope you find your palm tree.

(And don't bother asking...no one is ever seeing that picture.)

1 comment:

  1. I used to feel the same way when I first started seeing sand as we drove to the beach. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete