Saturday, March 15, 2014

Slice of Life, March 15th--"Stop!! A Real-Life Winn Dixie!"

So...it took me all of about 35 seconds in Florida to find my first blog topic. We were driving to the hotel from the airport last night and all of a sudden I saw it. The place that had lived only in my imagination materialized right before my eyes!

"Stop!" I screamed, "It's a Winn Dixie store!"

My travel crew looked at me like I'd grown a second head. "You know," I explained, "like a Winn Dixie...from the book..." The looks of confusion turned to concern. Perhaps I was dehydrated or jet-lagged from the 1.75 hour flight, they wondered.

I tried to explain again about how the book was written by one of my favorite authors, Kate DiCamillo, and that I didn't even know that the stores really existed, etc, etc., but I got nowhere with my audience. I did get a picture, though, for all my book-loving friends and students.

They DO exist!!!
For those of you from Florida reading this post, try not to laugh too hard at me. It's just that I've read the amazing and wonderful book Because of Winn-Dixie no less than a million times to my kiddos (We even read the readers' theater just last week!), and I never fail to DIE laughing at the supermarket scene where the precious dog receives a name and a best friend. I have watched the scene in my mind so many times, and when I saw the store--the real-life store--I felt like I'd been plunked out of reality into my imagination come alive.

If you've never read the book, oh my word, you must. In fact, if you've never read her other books, The Tale of Despereaux and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, then put them on your to-read list. They have been friends of mine for years. You will not be disappointed. If possible, read them out loud to children. It's the only way to fully enjoy them.

And trust me, before I leave Florida, I will have shopped in a Winn Dixie, too! The produce aisle has my name on it.

4 comments:

  1. I understand your excitement! I would have felt the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fun post and response to the moment! Enjoy that Florida sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are two of my most favorite books of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up shopping in a Winn-Dixie (in North Carolina) with my mom. I got excited in reverse--when I encountered "my" grocery store in a book.

    ReplyDelete