Friday, March 14, 2014

Slice of Life, March 14th-- "Packing...Oh the Agony!"

I love to pack. I hate to pack. I love to pack. I hate...

Well, you get the point. Packing is an emotional roller coaster for me.

I have an obvious issue that surfaces anytime it is time to pack to go somewhere on a trip. This time it's a Spring Break trip to Florida to watch the Cardinals at their Spring Training camp with my family.

I am totally pumped to get on the road today to the airport and fly into Orlando tonight. But the image of me the last few days at home trying to get my act together has been less than picturesque.

This is my routine. It changes a little with each trip, but this is the general picture:

First, I start with a list.
Then I make another list.
Then I throw the other two lists away and just start throwing stuff in the suitcase.
Then I take it all back out and try to organize it.
Then I realize I've packed too much warm attire and I need to start over and think "beach" as I'm packing.
I search for sandals.
I try to find an umbrella.
I make a mess.
I destroy my closet.
I weigh my suitcase.
I go to the store to buy things I can't find/don't have/don't know if I might need.
I start over.
I panic.

Finally, I am ready to leave. I actually finished this morning. Typically, my suitcase weighs in right at the limit. This time it is 39.2 pounds, just under the limit of 40.

Perfect.

I know it's insane. I don't even know what's in the suitcase honestly. Don't know, don't care. As long as I have my driver's license and ticket, I'm golden. That's what 3 days of stressful packing does to me.

Next stop: sunny Florida! Have a wonderful Spring Break!


4 comments:

  1. I'm the same way. Only I overpack. I need to be sure to be warm enough just in case it's cold and cool enough just in case it's hot. I begin by trying to take just one color with numerous ways to dress it up and down, but then realize that my favorite shoes don't match so take everything out and start again with a new color. After gathering all my favorites, I end up taking three or four colors and way more things than I need.
    Have a great time in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Miss Collins, I am glad I am not the only one who suffers this fate when packing. Even for a simple overnight trip, I most often take an extra outfit because I can't decide what I want to wear. Have a great trip and enjoy the nice Florida weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so funny. I had a good giggle. It is so hard to pack for a warm climate and think bikini and sandals when you are freezing and maybe seeing snow out of your window. Have an awesome break. You need it after all that packing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun in Florida! Your description of packing made me smile. I have the same problem--but with which books I will carry on the trip with me. I can't run out of books to read (even though I know I will probably buy more once I get there).

    ReplyDelete