Monday, March 31, 2014

Slice of Life, March 31st -- "A Month of Deep Life"


“It is not the length of life, but the depth.”

 --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Deep life.

What is it?

Is it teaching? Learning? Being with family or friends? Is it dreaming, creating, working hard....?

Yes, yes, and yes. It's all these things, but at a new level....deep. So what does that mean? How do you live your life deeply?

Many people, I am sure, could wax long on this subject, but here's what I think. 

We all just did it for a month. 

Together we stopped. We listened. We looked closer at our jobs, our families, our students. We watched with wonder as spring crept in on little cat feet. We took walks that became journeys of the heart. We retold stories that made us laugh and weep. We relived our lives through our words.

I think that's what deep living is at its core. Deep living means not letting life pass you by in moments that cannot be counted, days that are not noticed. Writing is a cure for the shallowness that threatens to engulf us with each day that passes without memories. Writing keeps the years from slipping by without our fingers grasping the important stuff.

So, write, friends. I intend to. 

SOL has challenged me, scared me, and even threatened me, at times, if that sounds believable. But it's also inspired and awoken me. It's changed how I see things, and I don't want to go back to days that are forgotten quickly. It would be easier to give it up and not write again until next March, but I'd be missing the deep life that I discovered this month. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to be part of this group. 

Thank you, SOL community, for welcoming me with your comments.

Thank you, students, for joining me.

Thank you, Webb City staff, for supporting and encouraging us all.

Thank you to the organizers and helpers who must have worked endless hours to make this month run smoothly for the rest of us.

Thank you so much for helping me find that deep life that is only found in the written word, penned from my own experiences and thoughts. I needed the little boost to find it again.

I think I'll keep this deep life. It's hard work, but so worth it.


6 comments:

  1. "Deep living means not letting life pass you by in moments that cannot be counted, days that are not noticed. Writing is a cure for the shallowness that threatens to engulf us with each day that passes without memories." You did a much better job expressing how I have been feeling about this challenge. This challenge has helped to transform from a think about writing writer to a writer. Thinking more deeply and being more observant has helped me slow down and savor life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you mean by deep life. Writing lets us do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this reflection on the past month--so eloquent. I know that this month changes me as a writer and a person. I pay attention to life and then capture with my words before it slips away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to sum up this journey, Katy. Your words were perfect and I agree that while challenging, a Slice of Life opened up the writer inside me that I forgot existed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this summation of the challenge, Kate - as writers, we do dig deep into even the small moments of our lives to extract meaning, significance, the recognition of something larger. I'm so glad that you stuck with it, and that you shared your stories with our writing community. See you on Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Emerson quote and your views on Slice of Life. I have enjoyed reading your Slices and getting to know you through your writing. You have great "voice" in your writing. Keep up the writing!

    ReplyDelete